• September 21Picture Day is Wednesday, September 23, 2015.

• September 21Senior Award Night is May 25, 2016 at 7:15 p.m.

Start Slow, Finish Strong! Congratulations to Marching Band

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ann Le, Reporter

There has been a lot of commotion surrounding the music department as of late. East Pennsboro Area High School’s band department has been having a spectacular year so far, competing against schools, performing in front of large audiences, and amazing the student body with their hard work and dedication; so it is no surprise that the East Pennsboro Marching Band received a stunning citation from the Pennsylvania House of Representatives for winning the Cavalcade of Bands American Class Championship. East Pennsboro Area High School junior Sarah Hagen stated that the marching band took a field trip to the Capitol, where they sat in the Forum and waited to be presented. Hagen included, “We did really good this season. This was the school’s first championship win in forty-one years.”  Hagen also gushed, “It was such a big honor; it was nice to be acknowledged and see our hard work pay off.”

Davina Nguyen, also an East Pennsboro Area High School junior, explained that the marching band members were being recognized for their outstanding achievement at The Cavalcade Championships, where they brought home first place. “At first, when they called the schools up, we were relieved that we weren’t last place, then it got closer, and we were glad that we were at least in the top ten, but then they got closer and closer, until finally, they announced our school as first place,” Nguyen commented, “All of us started screaming, jumping up and down, and crying.” Regarding the band members this season, Nguyen said that the marching band had a rough start, due to a number of new, younger, inexperienced students joining and the graduation of last year’s seniors. Initially, Nguyen and her band mates thought they were not going to perform well this year, but in actuality; they performed better in over forty years. Nguyen included that the marching band members’ efforts finally paid off when they received their citation and a thunderous round of applause from the state legislators. While on the trip, members took pictures of the Forum, pictures with Representative Glen Grell, and a large group selfie.